United States Military Families

Emory Continuing Education (ECE) is committed to assisting military service members and their families by offering a range of professional and personal development educational courses.

In addition, several of our specific courses are eligible for funding through the Veteran’s Educational post 9/11 benefits.

CE is approved for the following military-related education and training benefits:

Veterans Educational Benefits

Coverage provided by the Post-9/11 GI Bill program will depend on your specific ECE program and/or course schedule. ECE does not currently offer college/for-credit degrees. Eligible students may receive:

Students using Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits are not eligible for the following through our courses and programs:

All ECE programs are non-credit and usually maintain three (3) weekly contact hours. Eligibility for full Monthly Housing Allowance requires a minimum of fifteen (15) weekly contact hours of scheduled classes per week. These stipends are pro-rated (lowered) based on number of weekly contact hours. Less than nine (9) weekly contact hours voids Monthly Housing Allowance eligibility.

List of ECE courses approved for VA Educational Benefits funding:


Graphic Design
Paralegal Certificate
Six Sigma Black Belt
Six Sigma Green Belt
Fundamentals of Web Design and Development

Test Prep Courses:

GMAT Prep Course
GRE Comp: Math-Verbal-Analytical Writing
SAT Prep Course
LSAT Preparation
MCAT Test Preparation
PHR/SPHR Certification Review

The ECE Certifying Official will:

  • Advise veteran students as needed about certain procedural requirements;
  • Certify enrollment of ECE veteran students to the VA.


New, first-time veteran students at ECE must contact the Department of Veterans Affairs to determine and activate your benefits, as well as the ECE Certifying Official and submit a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Once you obtain the (COE), you will need to complete one of these forms:

1. For Chapter 31, 33 and 35 Post (9/11) ONLY

2. All OTHER CHAPTERS complete the Veterans Enrollment Data Form

After you have obtained your Certificate of Eligibility (COE):

Please e-mail the documents to us at learn@emory.edu.

Please go to our website at: https://register.ece.emory.edu/modules/customer/ and create your customer account with us if you not have an account with us.

We will use your COE, and form to enter your information into the VA system. We will register you for the class a few days prior to the start of the class. The VA will pay based on your benefits.

If you have any questions or if you need assistance regarding using your VA benefits for our classes, please contact:

Gerald Clay

ECE VA Certifying Official

404-727-6000, select option 2


We look forward to speaking with you.

Veterans/dependents of veterans eligible to receive benefits can work with the Military Benefits Coordinator/ECE Certifying Official: Gerald Clay / gclay@emory.edu or 404.727.6000 (select option 2).

Back to top

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Are ECE VA-eligible programs part-time or full-time? How will this impact me?

Neither. All ECE programs are noncredit and usually maintain three (3) weekly contact hours. Although this is typical for continuing education schedules, full VA cost of living stipends require a minimum of fifteen (15) weekly contact hours of scheduled classes per week. These stipends are pro-rated (lowered) based on number of weekly contact hours. Less than nine (9) weekly contact hours voids cost of living stipend eligibility.

I'm new at Emory Continuing Education. How do I receive my VA benefits?

Please visit the Veteran Affairs website at www.va.gov. If you have not received a Certification of Eligibility form from the VA, you must complete a Veteran Data Setup form.

I have registered for benefits with the Certifying Official at ECE and notified him of my VA status - is there anything else I need to do?

You should begin attending classes per your certification and the requirements of your program. If you change, cancel or stop attending class for any reason; change your address (you must also notify the VA); or use all of your available Veteran Educational Benefits, please notify the ECE Certifying Official immediately.

How do I contact Veteran's Affairs?

Call 1-888-442-4551 number or visit www.va.gov.

Can I get Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP) funding through ECE?

At this time, training for this particular program must be completed at a community college or technical school. ECE programs are not eligible.

Back to top