Narrative Medicine: Using Writing to Heal
In this course, students will explore writing as a tool for healing. The focus is not to perfect any particular genre of writing, but to discover the compatibility of one or more forms of writing with further journeys toward healing upon which to embark. From a patient’s perspective, expressing your feelings and experiences through writing can help to confront emotions, fears and hopes. As a caregiver, the writing process may help ease the burden of stress while increasing empathy, allowing you to deliver more compassionate care.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify their issues of concern
- Express that concern through writing
- Engage in collaborative discussion, using effective observation, speaking and listening skills
- Reflect on their concern, individually and collaboratively, in concrete ways
- Assess and describe any change in perception of their original issues of concern