Managing Up: Forging a Successful Relationship with Your Supervisor
The accomplishments of your manager are often more critical to your success than your own achievements. When bosses miss deadlines, ignore goals, and fail to meet expectations, those unmet obligations inevitably become yours -- and the communication between you and your manager can suffer greatly as a result. Recognizing the principles of managing up can help increase the chances of success for both you and your manager. Identifying your boss’s needs while supporting these daily obligations can lead to a smoother work environment with more positive vibes, less conflict, and ultimately an effective relationship.
After this class, you will be able to:
- Identify and support your supervisor’s strengths, weaknesses and working style.
- Proactively seek consistent communication and monitor results for necessary improvements.
- Determine your supervisor’s priorities, goals and pressures.
- Establish expectations and a clear system of organization.
- Help to eliminate preventable problems and use effective problem solving skills to find resolutions.
- Exhibit positive behaviors that make you an invaluable employee.