Writing for Young Children
The genre of writing for children is both challenging and uniquely treasured – join us to discover the variety of formats ranging from novelty books for preschoolers to picture and early chapter books for new readers. We will practice writing manuscripts, experiment with various styles and then share our works with fellow classmates for constructive critiques and enhancements. Essential elements -- style, structure, audience, and content presentation – will all be covered as students supplement coursework with a dash of their own creativity in the quest to capture the attention of young page-turning readers.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Discern the various book formats for young children
- Explain what will capture the attention of children in books
- Identify the unique challenges of writing for young children
- Experiment with new writing styles
- Practice writing manuscripts/drafts