Advanced Revision Workshop
Revision isn’t just about grammar and syntax — many other choices are critically important: Where should you begin your story or essay? What point of view should you use? What verb tense will work best? During this workshop, our instructor — an experienced editor and writer — will provide valuable constructive feedback for participants and their respective works.
This course is designed for students in the Creative Writing Certificate and must be completed last after all other required courses and electives. Please submit 4,000-8,000 words of your work-in-progress to Program Advisor Brent Buckley at email@example.com prior to the first class for approval by the instructor.
Students not currently enrolled in the Creative Writing Certificate will be considered for admission to this course on a case-by-case basis; a 4,000-8,000 word writing sample must be submitted to Program Advisor Brent Buckley at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the first class for approval by the instructor.
Students must register no later than one week prior to the course start date. All writing samples must also be submitted no later than one week prior to the course start date to ensure sufficient time for approval of the writing sample.
CLICK HERE FOR FIRST REQUIRED BOOK
CLICK HERE FOR SECOND REQUIRED BOOK
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Revise and polish your writing sample (4,000–8,000 words) after receiving constructive feedback from both peers and your instructor
- Recognize that revision involves both the big picture and the small detail
- Break down revision in a systematic way, by focusing on a strong beginning, maintaining narrative momentum, and choosing the best point of view for your story
- Identify areas of your writing where you can add depth and texture through voice, atmosphere, dialogue, and character development
- Recognize your strengths and weaknesses as you move forward with your writing
- Recognize the importance of serious reading to your growth as a writer
Notice: Undefined variable: FinalEnrollmentDate2Display in /it/web/std-prod/ece.emory.edu/htdocs/catalogSectionDetail.php on line 706
Clock Hours: Notice: Undefined variable: ClockHours in /it/web/std-prod/ece.emory.edu/htdocs/catalogSectionDetail.php on line 711