Foundations of Web Design and Development
Interested in starting your own website? Or perhaps a new career? Join us to understand the big picture concepts that currently frame the digital industry. Learn how to methodically and successfully complete a web or online project, including workflow processes, best practices, coding technology, and software utilization. Our course also illustrates proper site maintenance tactics to compete and communicate effectively on the web.
After this class, you will be able to:
CLICK HERE FOR REQUIRED BOOK
- Distinguish which area you are most interested in pursuing in the web technologies field
- Estimate hourly rates for a wide variety of design and development work
- Identify what technologies and techniques are necessary in responsive design
- Plan how to use software for coding and graphic development
- Define a web project and develop a creative brief and project plan
- Set up a site by developing a site map, a wireframe, a content plan and user personas
- Describe UX and UI and how they work in site development
- Compose a plan for testing a web site before launching, including determining domain and hosting needs
- Design a site maintenance plan after the site is published
1. The Overall Picture
- Discuss the three career branches of web design, development and digital marketing, including salaries, freelance work, etc.
- Copyrights and content
- The ECE certificate process: what to expect and how to succeed
2. Brief History of the Internet (and related technologies) Up Through 2015
- Web 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 (the Semantic Web)
- What is involved in responsive design?
- A brief overview of the essential software (authoring tools, graphic editors, animation development, video editing)
3. Workflow That Works: What's involved in the Core Process?
- Defining the project: the Brief (project summary, target audience, competition, strategy, budget, timeline)
- Developing site structure for user experience (UX) and backend development, including the project plan, sitemap, wireframe, content audit, user plan, as well as eCommerce, domain and hosting considerations
- Designing the user interface (UI) and developing the backend, including mockups, prototypes, asset development
- Building and integrating: coding and testing (for validation, accessibility and UX)
- Launching and beyond (maintenance, SEO, digital marketing)
Clock Hours: 8.0