Microsoft Excel Level 2: Excelling at Excel
You may feel comfortable using Excel -- but to maximize the software’s full potential, you’ll need to discover the 5 Fs—Formatting, Fills, Formulas, Functions, and Filters/Sorts. To begin creating clearer and more effective spreadsheets (including fully operational budget tracking), we’ll utilize formatting as well as basic formulas and functions.
Join us to review the features in Excel that allow for data management in both flat file and relational databases as we incorporate Name Box/Name Manager for easier/cleaner data referencing. PivotTables and Pivot Charts help avoid information overload by summarizing the data selection – now you can change the view of your data, simplify huge worksheets, and easily apply functions like COUNT, SUM, AVERAGE, and more.
VLOOKUPS functionality will pull together information from large, database-like workbooks; then we’ll repackage data into more useful forms using the CONCATENATE function to combine data from two or more columns.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Increase productivity through shortcuts and the Quick Access Toolbar
- Create attractive worksheets with formatting
- Understand syntax of Excel’s formulas and functions
- Develop formulas and functions in Excel for tables and databases
- Filter your information quickly for date ranges, numbers, and text lists
- Construct powerful functions to find and display data with VLOOKUP
- Utilize the CONCATENATE function to bring columns together
- Use the Name Box and Name Manager to navigate, print select, and add functionality for your tables
- Create PivotTables to analyze data more effectively
- Select useful charts to help visualize information
This class is taught using Microsoft Excel 2016 on our lab PCs, but the content applies to Excel 2007, 2010, and 2013 for Windows. Material learned in this course may not apply to Excel for Mac.
Notice: Undefined variable: FinalEnrollmentDate2Display in /it/web/std-prod/ece.emory.edu/htdocs/catalogSectionDetail.php on line 706
Clock Hours: Notice: Undefined variable: ClockHours in /it/web/std-prod/ece.emory.edu/htdocs/catalogSectionDetail.php on line 711