Project Management for Healthcare Professionals
Emory Continuing Education’s Project Management for Healthcare Professionals course provides more advanced training in the use of project management tools and techniques designed specifically for application in the healthcare industry. The course is taught by PMP experts and provides methodologies which can be applied immediately through guided discussion and practical exercises designed in collaboration with a team of Emory Healthcare experts. Emory Healthcare is the largest, most comprehensive health system in Georgia and is ranked amongst the nation’s top hospitals for the 21st straight year by US News and World Report.
After this class, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate key project management foundational knowledge and apply it in a healthcare setting.
- Leverage tools to make a system better fit provider’s needs.
- Identify examples of healthcare projects where the use of project management is particularly impactful to patient outcomes and satisfaction as well as cost savings.
Lesson 1. Project Management Methodology and Healthcare
- Review the way key project management concepts impact the healthcare world.
- Follow a real world case study highlighting healthcare complexities throughout a project’s lifecycle.
The following Phases and Tools will be covered:
Lesson 2. Foundations for Making a Project more Agile
- 1. Project Charter
- 2. Gate Meetings
- 1. Project Management Plan
- 2. Work Breakdown Structure
- 3. Scope Document
- 4. Training Plan
- 5. Support Matrix
- 6. Project Schedule
- 1. Requirements Collection
- 1. Test Plan
- 2. Test Scripts
- 3. Go Live Plan
- 4. Support Document
- Deployment and Closeout
- 1. Support Checklist
- 2. Lessons Learned
- Understand how to leverage modern project management techniques to make a faster better fit solution.
- Identify how to exploit a variety of tools to customize a best fit project management solution.
- Students will participate in an interactive in class exercise to better understand the concepts and determine how they might be able to apply them in their actual setting.
- Introduce the way agile concepts can help improve the speed and quality of design, development and testing cycles.
- Review Scrum at a very high level introducing:
- 1. Key Roles: Project Team, Product Owner, Scrum Master
- 2. Key Concepts: Sprint, User Story, Kan Ban, Burndown Chart
- 3. Key Activities: Sprint Planning, Daily Standup, Sprint Demo, Sprint Retrospectives
Clock Hours: 6.5