The Business of Creative Writing: Navigating Your Next Steps
Writing is a tough business with daunting odds. Yet in this digital age, when leveraged well, a writer has never had more power and opportunity. The Business of Creative Writing shows you how to identify your brand and build your platform, as well as to evaluate the commercial potential of your work and understand the paths toward monetizing your writing. Investing the time and work to make it as good as it can be, committing to the process, and persevering during the inevitable rejection you will encounter along the path are all crucial for success. So, too, is learning not to be defensive when criticized for the work into which you've poured your heart and soul.
This workshop will also cover traditional publishing vs. self-publishing and all the stops in between, including agents and query letters, rights and legal issues including copyright, tenacity vs. talent, formatting, content creation, social networking, writers conferences, author websites, blogging, the best ways to connect with other writers to create a support group, and embracing the writing life.
After this class, participants will be able to:
- Identify their author platform and take the first steps toward building it.
- Explain the differences between the various routes to publication.
- Recognize pitfalls and scams associated with publication.
- Access and use writing tools and resources, including blog and website-building, formatting and content creation tools.
- Create a list of potential literary agents.
- Write a polished query letter ready to be customized for each literary agent.
- Build a support and/or critique group and learn how best to connect with the larger writing community.
Notice: Undefined variable: FinalEnrollmentDate2Display in /it/web/std-prod/ece.emory.edu/htdocs/catalogSectionDetail.php on line 706
Notice: Undefined variable: ClockHours in /it/web/std-prod/ece.emory.edu/htdocs/catalogSectionDetail.php on line 711