Blogging: Effective Writing for Your Personal or Professional Blog
If you have a message to share, a cause to promote, a business to grow — or if you just love to write and express yourself — a blog is an essential tool. Blogging is a great way to connect with your audience (or customers), to perfect your message, and to grow as a communicator. Blogging can help writers to hone their craft, find their voice, and build a loyal readership. And yes, blogging can be profitable — and fun! This course is suitable both for beginners and for those who already have a blog but want to maximize its potential.
After this class, you will be able to:
- Identify objectives for their blog, and the tools necessary for reaching their goals.
- Write and promote an effective blog post.
- Use tools such as social media and email to grow your readership.
Lesson 1. Introduction to Blogging
- Why keep a blog? Understanding the benefits of blogging
- The unique character of blogging: how it differs from other forms of marketing and communication
- Identifying your personal or professional goals and how blogging fits in with them
Lesson 2. Setting Up Your Blog Using Wordpress
- Creating a new blog, picking a theme, and establishing your “brand” (online identity)
- Beyond the blog: integrating pages, widgets and plugins to enhance your site
- Wordpress.org vs. Wordpress.com: the pros and cons of a self-hosted blog
Lesson 3. Writing the Perfect Blog Post
- Identifying Your “Blogging Voice”
- How Blogging is Like — and Different from — other types of Creative Writing
- Frequency and Length: How often to post? How long should posts be?
Lesson 4. Writing the Perfect Blog Post
- Types of Effective Blog Posts (Lists, Questions, Quotations, Tips, etc.)
- Beyond words: using images and video to enhance your post
- Great content, great headline: creating posts your audience will want to read (and share)
Lesson 5. Building Your Audience
- Social Media —embedding your blog in your network (and vice versa)
- Talk to me: why comments and other interactivity are essential for connecting with your audience
- No, you are not a spammer, but having an email list is not optional
Lesson 6. Monetizing Your Blog
- Advertising, affiliate sales, and other ways to bring in some money
- Selling content: eBooks, online courses, and membership sites
- Your blog as a rainmaker: promoting your product or service through your blog
Clock Hours: 12.0